Sunday, February 7, 2010

My IVF Story - Part Three

You can read Part 1 Here and Part 2 Here

Mum and I were just about to head out the door when the phone rang. Naturally I thought it was someone calling to wish me a Happy Birthday so answered the call.

It was the clinic. Both eggs they had were fertilized and they wanted me to go in and have them replanted. Yes that’s right – BOTH of them!

We had said in all our paperwork that we only wanted one egg implanted so we were not ready for the possibility of having both eggs put back.

Dr N said that since this was all they had it was worth trying with both being put back in.
I called Hubby, he was shocked but we both realized the opportunity and so agreed.

It was panic stations at my house. Bling took Grotbag for the morning and Mum agreed to come with me. Well she didn’t really agree I told her she was coming with me!! Neil loves to tell people how he wasn’t even there for the conception but his Mother-In-Law was!

So off to the hospital we go and I couldn’t believe that I was having BOTH eggs implanted and on my birthday no less. I was hopeful that this was a sign. That surely because it was my birthday this was the present I was supposed to have. Surely you sometimes get what you wish for right?

I was told to take it easy for the next few days and then basically I was to wait two weeks, have a blood test and wait for a pregnancy result.

The wait was excruciating. I went back to work and took things easy. I had no symptoms of being pregnant and as each day passed I got more and more despondent. On the Wednesday, two days before my pregnancy blood test, I caved and secretly took a pregnancy test at home.

Negative.

I did another one just in case.

Negative.

I couldn’t believe it. I was so sure that with the eggs being put back on my Birthday it was a good sign.

I spent the next two days in a completed fog and dreading going back for my blood test. I completely downplayed it to anyone who knew I was waiting for my results. Bling was on to me. “you did a test didn’t you?” when I was downplaying the hype to her on the Thursday walking to work. I lied and said I hadn’t but she knew and I later told her the truth.
I knew I had been expecting a lot for the procedure to work the first time. But I reasoned that it was better to find out that I wasn’t pregnant than losing it at 9 or 10 weeks. I didn’t think I could bear that. So I started thinking about “the next time” knowing I would probably produce more eggs and I would have a bit of a higher chance that it would work and we would finally get our second little bundle of joy.

Friday was my day off work and I was so nervous. I went in for my blood test in the morning and then had to wait until 2pm when I could call and ask for my result. Hubby was home and I can honestly say I can’t remember what we did that day. I think we just busied ourselves around the house and played with Grotbag. I knew that the answer would be a negative but I hadn’t told Hubby. I thought that I would try and be strong and upbeat for him seeing as I had had a few days to digest the information.

At 2pm with my heart in my mouth I called and asked for my results. Of course I was put on hold and was just waiting for them to tell me the bad news.

“Hi Amanda, well Congratulations it’s a positive result with really good numbers. Come in on Monday and we will keep doing the blood tests and keep watching making sure the number keep climbing”

I burst into tears. I couldn’t believe it.

I looked at Hubby who was also in tears. I got off the phone and Hubby, Grotbag and I just hugged and cried with each other. Grotbag obviously didn’t know why we were crying but he knew it was a good thing! We stayed like that for at least 20 minutes. The relief of the news was amazing and I couldn’t believe I was pregnant.

Each blood test up until week 8 kept climbing in numbers and I was thrilled. My boobs began to get sore and I started to feel a bit ill in the mornings all which were great signs. Because obviously two eggs had implanted we had to wait and see if I was carrying twins. My first scan confirmed that there was just one little healthy heartbeat which was all the news I had wanted to hear! Twins would have been great but I was happy enough to be carrying the one.

Everyone at work was pleased for me and then I got another surprise. Bling was also pregnant and we were only 11 days apart on our due dates. WOW I couldn’t believe it we were going to share our journey together it was so fantastic.

One day at work when I was about 8.5 weeks pregnant I rushed out to buy some lunch came back and went to the toilet for about the 100th time that day.

And that’s when I saw the blood.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails