Friday, July 10, 2009

Sleep School - Part 2

Well...my worst fears at sleep school were confirmed. Bugalugs is a completely normal baby! Sleeping...well..normally!

I arrived with trepidation at sleep school where I was greeted by the most lovely lady who was our "teacher"...lets call her B. She just oozed understanding, warmth and support. I heaved a sigh of relief. No Matron here!

There were supposed to be 10 in the class but only 3 other mums arrived so we were just a small class of 4.

I won't bore you with the whole 2 1/2 hour class but my heart skipped a beat when B gave an anecdote about a father who had come to her worried because his baby slept all through the night but only did 45 minute naps during the day.

GULP! I am sure I went bright red!!

The 3 other poor mums had not had a full nights sleep since their bubs had been born. 2 suffered from severe reflux and B just so happened to be an expert in this field and they hung on every grateful word. The other mum had done some 'accidental' parenting which B gave her and action plan start that very night. She was excited.

And then they came to me, and God love them after I told them about my Bugalugs looking at the floor and told them sorry that I felt really guilty, they were all lovely and said it's different for everyone blah blah but not a Paris Hilton among them!

I am a big believer in fate and everything happening for a reason. And after today I realised that I went to the class for a much bigger 'universe' type reason. My cousin Bling's baby suffers from severe reflux and so I too took many notes and B has said that Bling can call her and see her privately. I also have a really good doctor and after hearing one of the mums appalling story about her GP referred mine to her and know she will get good service.

I had attended a Paediatric Physio class I was referred to as Bugalugs has a rather large head which he was having trouble lifting. Once B knew this she asked me to show some of the tummy time techniques to another mum who was having tummy time trouble. I also got some great advice from the mums, whose babies were older than Bugalugs about food and nutrition.

Now although none of us really need to attend next week, we are all going to go for the hour, have coffee and share our week with our babies. They are 3 wonderful mums who are really doing it much tougher than I am and so I have learned more in 2 1/2 hours than I could have from any book, plus had a bit of a reality check which I think we all need sometimes.

I am looking forward to next week and catching up with the mums, and hope the Universe shines a good week on all of them because they deserve it!

1 comment:

Mary-Jane said...

My Miss Amelie never slept in the day.. and only for 20 minute intervals at night. I think I averaged 1 hours sleep per night for 6 months.Hands up those with PND.. pick me, pick me!! I would have loved someone like B to have helped me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails